Omar Barghouti on BDS Movement
In July 2005, Palestinian civil society got together to launch a Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions(BDS) campaign against Israel. The goals of this campaign as stated by their webiste are:
• To strengthen and spread the culture of Boycott as a central form of civil resistance to Israeli occupation and apartheid;
• To formulate strategies and programs of action in accordance with the 9 July 2005 Palestinian Civil Society Call for BDS;
• To form the Palestinian reference point for BDS campaigns worldwide;
• To form the national reference point for the anti-normalization campaigns within Palestine;
• To coordinate the various BDS campaign efforts in all locations;
• To organize a yearly conference of the organizations and initiatives involved in the BDS campaign.
Omar Barghouti, a founder of the BDS campaign talks to Newsclick about the campaign's achievemnets, ongoing projects and expresses concern over the growing strategic partnerhip bewteen India and Israel.