Skip to main content
xYOU DESERVE INDEPENDENT, CRITICAL MEDIA. We want readers like you. Support independent critical media.

Agnipath: AAP’s Sanjay Singh, BJP’s Varun Gandhi Allege Caste Being Asked in Army Recruitment

The (recruitment) system which was in place before Independence is being continued and there is no change to this, says Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Singh speaks in the Upper House

Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Singh speaks in the Upper House. Image Courtesy: ANI

New Delhi,:The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Tuesday alleged that the Indian Army was using caste as a factor for recruitment under the Agnipath scheme, drawing a swift rebuttal from Defence Minister Rajnath Singh who rejected the charge as a "rumour".

AAP's Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Singh launched a sharp attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the issue while Janata Dal (United) leader Upendra Kushwaha and Bharatiya Janata Party MP Varun Gandhi also tweeted a purported document linked to the army's recruitment exercise to question the need for a caste certificate and raised concerns.

Dismissing the allegation, Singh told reporters in Parliament complex, "I want to make it clear that this is a rumour. The (recruitment) system which was in place before Independence is being continued and there is no change to this."

The ruling BJP accused the critics of trying to instigate youngsters for street protests and asserted that the army's recruitment process dates back to pre-Independence. This was formalised by a "Special Army Order" after 1947, and the practice remains the same, party spokesperson Sambit Patra said.

The Army had submitted an affidavit in response to a PIL in the Supreme Court in 2013, when the Congress-led UPA government was in power, that caste or religion has no role in its recruitment, and applicants are asked about this for administrative reasons, Patra told reporters.

Earlier, Sanjay Singh in a tweet said for the first time in India's history, candidates have been asked to mention their caste in the Army recruitment, and asked if Prime Minister Narendra Modi does not consider dalits, backwards and tribals eligible for serving in the armed forces.

"The cheap face of the Modi government has come out in front of the country... Modi ji, you have to make 'Agniveer' or 'Jaativeer'," he alleged in a tweet in Hindi.

Kushwaha, whose party is a BJP ally, also raised the issue and questioned the need for a caste certificate in the army recruitment when there is no provision for reservation in it.

Echoing this, Gandhi wondered if somebody's patriotism will now be decided by looking at his caste. "The government should consider the impact on our national security by changing the established norms of the Army," he said.

Singh made a request to Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu for allowing him to raise the issue of policy changes for the Agnipath scheme. His submission made no direct mention to the issue of caste or religion.

Rashtriya Janata Dal MP Manoj Jha had submitted an adjournment notice to discuss the "disastrous implications" of the Agnipath scheme as well as "the denial of opportunities" in railways to thousands of job aspirants.

The Agnipath scheme, a short term recruitment in the armed forces, has drawn strong criticism from the opposition. It envisages that 75% of the recruits will be discharged after four years and the remaining 25% will be absorbed for long term.

Get the latest reports & analysis with people's perspective on Protests, movements & deep analytical videos, discussions of the current affairs in your Telegram app. Subscribe to NewsClick's Telegram channel & get Real-Time updates on stories, as they get published on our website.

Subscribe Newsclick On Telegram