The ISSF has also requested the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to extend the Tokyo Olympic Games qualification period in order to ensure all shooters get equal opportunities to make it.
The ISSF Shooting World Cup in New Delhi, scheduled from March 15-25, was postponed to May, while an Olympic test event in Tokyo, scheduled in April, was cancelled due to the crisis following the Coronavirus outbreak.
The World Cup, sanctioned by the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), was to be staged at the Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range in the capital city. It was a combined World Cup for rifle/pistol and shotgun shooters. Now, the tournament will be held in two parts before the Olympic Games in July, said a communication from the ISSF. The decision was taken after the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) proposed the ISSF consider postponement.
"It is proposed to divide the World Cup in two parts and hold Rifle and Pistol competitions on May 5-12, 2020, while Shotgun competitions – on June 2-9, 2020," the ISSF said via a statement.
Couple of days back, the ISSF announced that the World Cup in Delhi won't carry ranking points because athletes from all countries cannot participate following the health advisory issued by the Indian government. The new development came after the government imposed restrictions on the entry of travellers from China, Italy, South Korea, Japan and Iran -- the most severely affected countries -- in a bid to contain the Coronavirus outbreak.
The ISSF has also requested the International Olympic Committee (IOC) extend the Olympic qualification period in order to ensure all shooters get equal opportunities to make it for Tokyo 2020.
Also Read | Dutee Chand and Indian Sporting Truths at the Khelo India University Games
"In case of the IOC approval, the World Cups in Munich, Germany, and Baku, Azerbaijan, can also influence the outcome of the Olympic Qualification," the ISSF said.
"It must be noted that all Qualification Quota Places, as planned, will be allocated by May 31, 2020," added the statement
A total of 22 countries had pulled out of the Delhi event, an official in NRAI was quoted by the Press Trust of India (PTI) earlier. "While 22 was the last count till Thursday night, some counties who had withdrawn, have also reapplied for visas," he said.
In the wake of the Coronavirus outbreak, which began from the Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year, many sporting events across the world have been either cancelled, postponed or held behind closed doors. Last week, India pulled out of the ISSF World Cup in Cyprus.
The outbreak has so far claimed more than 3000 lives and infected close to 100,000 people across the world.
(With inputs from PTI)
Read more sports stories from Newsclick