Today, 28 June 2017, our citizens have planned simultaneous protests across the country and in some other parts of the world. Some of the protests are also scheduled for June 29th and July 1st, 2017. The protests are against the countrywide targeted lynchings. Most recently, 16-year-old Junaid was lynched on 23 June 2017 in Delhi (NCR) on a suburban train. As citizens, we must get together and assert that the killings and the hatred being unleashed are Not In Our Name.
If we do not speak up now, when will we stop this turning our country into a place where violent mobs rule, with the dominant right-wing ideology creating conditions for, and offering tacit support to, such violence? The Right to Life and Equality is a fundamental right enshrined in the Constitution of India. It is time we the citizens of India reclaim and protect our Constitution.
Please carry banners with the slogan "NOT IN MY NAME"
This is a citizens’ protest open to all. Everyone is welcome but without party or organisational banners.
Please share and publicise the event. This is happening all over India simultaneously.
Join in wherever you are:
28 June 2017
- Allahabad: 5pm, Subhash Chauraha, Civil Lines, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh 211001, India
- Bangalore: 6pm – 8pm; Bangalore Town Hall, 112 JC Road, Bangalore, India 560027; FB Link
- Chandigarh: 6pm; Sector 17, Chandigarh, India 160017; FB Link
- Delhi: 6pm – 8pm; Jantar Mantar, Rajiv Chowk, Delhi, India 110001; FB Link
- Hyderabad: 4pm – 7pm; Tank Bund, Hyderabad, FB Link
- Kochi: 6 pm; High Court Junction, Kochi, Kerala
- Kolkata: 5pm – 7pm; Dakhinapan premises, next to Madhusudhan Mancha, Dhakuria; FB Link
- Lucknow: 4:30pm – 6:30pm, Gandhi Park, GPO, Hazratganj, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226001
- Mumbai: 5pm – 7pm; Carter Road Promenade; FB Link
- Patna: 6pm; Kargil Chowk, Gandhi Maidan, Patna; FB Link
- Trivandrum: 5:30pm – 8pm; Secretariat, Trivendrum, Kerala, India
- London (UK): 2 pm – 3:30pm; Wednesday, June 28th, 2017; SOAS, University of London, Thornhaugh Street, WC1H 0XG, London, United Kingdom
- Gaya: 5:30pm - 7:00pm; Wednesday, June 28th, 2017; Ambedkar Chowk,( Opp. Gaya Collectorate ); FB Link
Venues and Time/ Date for other days:
- Chennai: 11am – 1:00pm, Saturday, July 1, 2017; Valluvar Kottam, Nungambakkam, Chennai, India 600034; FB link: https://www.facebook.com
- Karachi (Pakistan): 4pm – 6pm, July 1, 2017; Outside Karachi Press Club, Karachi, Pakistan; FB link: https://www.facebook.com
- Pune: 6:30pm – 8:30pm, Thursday, June 29, 2017; Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Statue, Pune Station, Pune, Maharashtra, FB Link: https://www.facebook.com
- Boston (USA): 7pm – 8pm, June 29, 2017; Harvard Sq T-stop, Cambridge, Massachusetts, FB link: https://www.facebook.com
Please take the time out to share this with your friends in respective locations and encourage them to participate. It is imperative that there is large and noticeable participation.
This is a citizens’ protest open to all. Everyone is welcome but without party or organizational banners.