Cristiano Ronaldo was attending a media interaction at the Old Trafford in Manchester on October 22, ahead of the UEFA Champions League match between his side Juventus and Manchester United, when he was asked about the allegation (Pic: Ronaldo Twitter).
Cristiano Ronaldo, talking to the media for the first time since the rape allegation, said he is confident that the truth will come out in the case.
The Portuguese football star was attending a media interaction in Manchester on October 22, ahead of the UEFA Champions League match between his side Juventus and Manchester United.
“I’m not going to lie in this situation,” Ronaldo said. “I’m very happy. My lawyers, they are confident and of course I am, too.
Also Read | Bajrang Punia’s New-Found ‘Strengths’ Cost Him Gold at Wrestling World Championships
“The most important [part is that] I enjoy the football, I enjoy my life. The rest, I have people who take care of my life,” he added. “Of course, the truth is always coming in the first position.”
Earlier in the month, former model Kathryn Mayorga, 34, alleged that Ronaldo assaulted her in Las Vegas in 2009. At that point, Ronaldo hit out in a statement of his own, condemning the “people seeking to promote themselves at my expense”.
Ronaldo also posted a video on Instagram on October 3, a little after the suit was filed. “Fake. Fake news,” he said in the video.
Also Read | Youth Olympics 2018: Behind India’s First Gold Medal
However, Las Vegas police has reopened investigation into the allegation while Ronaldo has maintained he is innocent, adding that his “clear conscience” allows him to calmly await “the results of any and all investigations”.
On October 10, Ronaldo’s attorney, Peter S Christiansen, issued a statement, stating that his client is innocent. The lawyer said that the documents that led to the rape claim are “fabrications” and insisted what transpired at the Las Vegas hotel was consensual.
Meanwhile, Portugal left their star player out of the squad for two matches. The national side’s coach Fernando Santos did not include the World Cup captain in the squad that travelled to Poland for a UEFA Nations League tie on October 11, followed by a friendly in Glasgow against Scotland three days later.
Read more sports stories from Newsclick