Hamza Koya, 61,represented Maharashtra in Santosh Trophy besides playing for RCF, Western Railway and Orkay Mills.
Hamza Koya, a veteran of Santosh Trophy, passed away on Saturday at a hospital in Malappuram, Kerala, while undergoing treatment for Covid-19. The 61-year-old former India player, represented Maharashtra in Santosh Trophy besides playing for RCF, Western Railway and Orkay Mills.
Hamza Koya, who came into prominence playing for the Calicut University football team, represented India in the Nehru Trophy.
Also Read | Indian Football Team’s World Cup Qualifiers and IPL Could Hamper 2020-21 Season of ISL
Hamza Koya had returned to his hometown, Parappanangadi, along with his family on May 21. He was put under quarantine. His five family members also tested positive and are currently undergoing treatment.
“His wife and son tested positive for the virus first in his family. Later, Hamza Koya also tested positive for the virus and was under treatment at the medical college,” said Malappuram District Medical Officer Dr K Sakeena.
Stadiums to be Split Into Zones
Premier League stadiums are going to get divided into three zones when the season resumes on June 17 without spectators, West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady said.
The clubs met on June 5 and discussed how the matches can be resumed along with the logistics and safety protocols, with Brady stating that the stadiums are going to be divided into red, amber and green zones.
Also Read | Premier League Confirms First Three Fixtures
“Red zone will be the most severely restricted area, including the pitch, the tunnel, technical areas, changing rooms will be limited to 105 people maximum, to include players, coaching staff, match officials and all the essential staff only,” Brady wrote in her Sun newspaper column.
Players have been instructed to not shake hands, spit or share drinks, while social distancing is expected to be maintained in the dressing room and showers, with a 15-minute limit for pre-match talks by managers.
Brescia to Terminate Balotelli’s Contract
Brescia are going to terminate Mario Balotelli’s contract after the striker failed to return to training before Serie A’s restart, the Italian media reported.
Balotelli, 29, signed a three-year contract with his hometown club last year after they got promoted to top flight for the first time since 2011.
Also Read | We Were Wrong For Not Listening, Admits NFL Boss in Handling Player Protest
The stroker, known as a troublemaker throughout his career in which he played for clubs such as Inter Milan, Manchester City, AC Milan, Liverpool, Nice, and Olympique de Marseille, and won 36 international caps.
Sky Sports reported Balotelli had gotten into a row with Brescia president Massimo Cellino after the striker did not return to training when coronavirus restrictions were relaxed in the country.
The report said Balotelli was offered a consensual termination, which he refused, and the club then sent a letter to his lawyer saying his contract is going to get terminated.
Dream Chance: India Captain Ashalata
Members of the Indian women's football team are very excited about the idea of playing the AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 at home and feel that it is going to make the game even more popular in the country.
Captain Ashalata Devi, who along with other three nominees for the AFC Women's Player of the Year 2019, added that playing in the Asian Cup is going to be a 'dream come true'.
"It was a dream to play in the AFC Asian Cup and now that we are hosting it, I am very happy and excited. I would like to thank the AIFF and Women's Committee as they made a lot of efforts to bring the tournament to India. It's a huge step for us and the entire continent's eyes will be on us," the centre-back told the All India Football Federation's (AIFF’s) official website.
The Indian side is currently ranked 55th in the world, and won gold at the South Asian Games in Nepal last year.
Goalkeeper Aditi Chauhan also expressed her delight at the 'amazing opportunity' and called it a 'huge responsibility' at the same time.
LA Galaxy Part With Aleksandar Katai
The LA Galaxy parted ways with Serbian midfielder Aleksandar Katai after his wife posted “a series of racist and violent social media posts,” the Major League Soccer (MLS) team said.
In Instagram posts that have now been deleted, Tea Katai referred to Black Lives Matter protesters as “disgusting cattle” and urged that violent actions be taken against them, according to media reports.
Black Lives Matter supporters have been protesting in various cities across the USA since the death of George Floyd, and have been demanding justice.
The LA Galaxy released a statement on Friday and announced that ]midfielder Katai and the team “mutually agreed to part ways,” after “strongly condemning” Tea Katai’s posts.
“The LA Galaxy stands with communities of color, and especially the Black community, in the protests and fight against systemic racism, social inequality, bigotry and violence,” the club said.
The 29-year-old Katai, who had also played for the Chicago Fire and signed with LA Galaxy in December, apologised for his wife’s social media posts.
Read more sports stories from Newsclick